To participate in the second iteration of the R-1 match, you must be a medical student or graduate who has obtained or is in the process of obtaining a medical degree by July 1 of the match year from an institution that meets one of the following criteria:
- A Liaison Committee on Medical Education/Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools (LCME/CACMS) accredited school;
- A school of osteopathic medicine; or
- An international medical school listed with the World Directory of Medical Schools published by the Foundation for the Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER) and the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME).
The second iteration is open to eligible applicants who fit one or more of the following categories:
- Applicants who submitted a rank order list for the first iteration but went unmatched.
- Applicants who participated in the first iteration but later withdrew participation.
- Applicants who did not participate in any way in the first iteration.
- Applicants who are only eligible for the second iteration based on the provincial criteria and previous postgraduate training.
Please note that to participate in the second iteration you must be a Canadian citizen or hold a valid Canadian permanent resident card. The eligibility criteria regarding the MCC examinations for the first iteration of the match also applies for the second iteration, unless otherwise stated in the provincial criteria.