To participate in the first iteration of the R-1 match, you must be a medical student or graduate who has obtained or is in the process of obtaining a medical degree by July 1 of the match year from an institution that meets one of the following criteria:
- A Liaison Committee on Medical Education/Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools (LCME/CACMS) accredited school;
- A school of osteopathic medicine; or
- An international medical school listed with the World Directory of Medical Schools published by the Foundation for the Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER) and the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME).
You must also be a Canadian citizen or hold a valid Canadian permanent resident card.
International medical graduates and graduates from osteopathic medical schools*
If you are an international medical graduate who is attending or has graduated from a school listed with the IMED, or who is attending or has graduated from a school of osteopathic medicine you must also have:
- Written and passed the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination (MCCEE) by November 2018; and
- Written and passed, or be scheduled to write, the National Assessment Collaboration (NAC) Examination by September 2018.
Note: if you write the November MCCEE, your exam score will not be available as part of the CaRMS application until after first iteration file review opens, as the results are not available until late December. Programs may elect to not review the application of applicants who do not have the MCCEE results at the opening of file review.
IMGs applying to Québec
To receive a MD equivalence in Québec (and to be able to apply to residency programs in Québec), IMG applicants must have been approved by the Bureau de coopération interuniversitaire (BCI) after fulfilling the following requirements of the Collège des médecins du Québec (CMQ):
- A pass on the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination (MCCEE); and
- A pass on the National Assessment Collaboration (NAC) exam OR a pass on the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE) Part II and
- A pass on the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination Part I (MCCQE1)
For more information on applying to Quebec programs as an IMG, please contact the CMQ.
Please note that applicants to provinces other than Quebec are still required to have the NAC examination.
Only applicants without previous Canadian or US postgraduate training** are eligible to attain a position through CaRMS in the first iteration. If you have previous Canadian or US postgraduate training or plan to participate only in the second iteration of the match, please review the second iteration eligibility information.
*Graduates of osteopathic medical schools who wish to apply to programs in Quebec are not required to pass the NAC
**Preliminary training in the US is considered accredited postgraduate training for the purposes of R-1 match first iteration eligibility. Applicants with previous preliminary training in the US are therefore not eligible to participate in the first iteration.